Mechanical Fuel Pump Kits

Won't run? Engine, cooling system, fuel pump, carb, clutch, tranny, brakes, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Engine & Mechanical' category are here.

Postby Swerve » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:18 pm

All,

Was doing some digging on fuel pumps for another member and thought this would be useful from a conversation with RP 8 years ago….. I’m getting old

RP - 2006
I set to work using the fuel pump kits you so kindly procured for me. As stated the kits were for '68.5 - '73 G60s, so I had a collection of that style fuel pump set aside for this rebuild jamboree. From the start of the very first one, things didn't look right. The difference between the early pumps and the post '68.5 pumps is the length of the lower cylinder on the bottom body half: the early pumps are a length of about 1 1/2 inches, while the later pumps are a shorter measure.

The problem I found with the kits is that the 'stem' on the diaphragm is 2" long, while the 'stem' on the later pumps is about 1 1/2 inches long. So, I tear apart one of the early pumps (this one is so early it actually has a priming pump handle on it) and voila! - the diaphragm stems are the same length! I also had a Goss fuel pump kit I had got from Ebay a while back (Goss kit # 919KT) which stated that it suited '68 - '73 G60. This kit was identical to the kits you sent.

So, it turns out that the kits you procured actually fit our earlier Patrols, which means I am: a) short on the kits I got from you, and b) still need to find the kits for the later pumps.

John - 67L60 obtained a Goss fuel pump kit from Ebay, kit # 810KT. From the pictures he sent me of his rebuild process, it appears that this Goss kit suits what we have for the later fuel pump.

Ultimately, what I was hoping was that you might find a source for both of these Goss fuel pump kits - 810KT and 919KT. I would especially love to know the length of the diaphragm stem on the 810KT kit. Then order up a few of each kit.

Swerve - 2006
I confirmed “The 919KT is no longer produced and not available. The 810KT is still available and the diaphragm length is 1" and 3/4. It also has a T piece whatever that is"

RP - 2006
This means that the 919KT is indeed the same as the Nissan 17010-58026 kits. Both kits are in very limited supply, even in your end of the world.

This also means that the 810KT is indeed the kit needed for the/our '68 and later fuel pumps. I just took one apart and measured the stem, and it is very close to 1 3/4 inches.

NEXT POINT – Any kit in now difficult to locate in Oz, When I last bought stock, I cleaned out all old stock I had available. You will find some places have old stock sitting on shelves, but you need to find who and where they are. SO before a flood of people start asking me, I don’t know where any kits are.

GOSS 810KT

http://www.goss.com.au/products/810KT
Swerve Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby moore_rb » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:42 pm

HAHAHA that was a nice tease, Steve...

Here's all the information and part numbers you need to rebuild your fuel pump...

Oh, By the way, none of these parts are available anymore :violin:
ImageImageImageImage

L-R:
White 65 Hardtop L60-3-00617 (undergoing restoration)
Red 65 hardtop 4L60-002565 (scrapped for parts)
66 Hardtop "El-Bondo Patrol", L60-00511 (Restored, then sold June2020)
Blue 67 Hardtop (sold March1997)
Green 62 Softtop L60-2-00504 (undergoing restoration)
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Swerve » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:57 pm

The thing is they are around. You need to call various suppliers and ask ? But you need to know what your talking about.
Swerve Offline

Postby Peter60 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:37 am

I just started to explore fuel pump rebuild kits and have come to exactly conclusion to Swerve. That is they are not available.

It looks like there are several types of fuel pumps. Pre 68 and post 68. I'm after the post 68 type.

GOSS did have the 810KT rebuild kit but its no longer available. It is on GOSS's 'internal' catalogue and on some resellers web sites but there's none available. I have emailed GOSS to see if they can help me ..... but I'm not holding my breath!

I also contacted NOW AND THEN in the US. They responded that if I send pictures and measurements then they may be able to help. So before I go to all that trouble has anyone else got a rebuild kit from Now & Then? I know some members have had the fuel pump rebuilt by them.

Anyone willing to send a fuel pump to Now and Then for them to work out the parts I need? That way we might be able to get them to be a source of rebuild kits in the future.

Also is it possible to just replace the diaphrame and use the existing metal stem? Is that what rebuild shops do? So far I haven't been able to find a fuel pump rebuilder - although I haven't tried too hard.

In the meantime I guess I'll just use an electric fuel pump.
Not sure if I will get there.
Not sure if I will get back.
But I usually do!!!
Peter60 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby RiverPatrol » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:08 am

Now and Then would rebuild your pump if you sent it to them.

It isn't possible to replace just the diaphragm. The way it is attached to the stem makes it impossible to remove without destroying it.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mitch197 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:56 pm

I just sent mine to Now and Then and they did an amazing job. Quick turn around and for $109 I practically have a new pump.
Mitch197 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby Peter60 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:13 am

I found a replacement mechanical fuel pump.

Goss G635.jpg

It is a Goss G635 (see goss.com.au).

It fits a Nissan Urvan 2.0 (E23).

On a recommendation of my friendly mechanic I look my existing leaky pump to a guy who has been repairing diesel fuel pumps for decades. He couldn't get parts but not to be defeated he researched the market, ordered a few pumps and worked out which one might work. Its called old time service!

I fitted it today. It lined up perfectly with the bolt pattern. The in and out pipes are smaller 6mm instead of 8mm. So it required a bit if reworking the in and out hoses. The smaller diameter of pipes doesn't seem to cause issues although early days yet!

But the end result is that it works! It came with two gaskets and an insulator. The rocker arm is slightly different but approx the same.

Cost was about $250 AUD

I have been talking to Now and Then. I will see if they can supply me just the diaphragm. Most other parts seemed to be available in Oz.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not sure if I will get there.
Not sure if I will get back.
But I usually do!!!
Peter60 Offline

Postby curlrider11 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:45 am

Hey friend, do u have an update on how this goss fuel pump has worked out for you? Started up my patrol this morning and my fuel pump was leaking like a siv... Didn't take it apart yet but it's leaking from the body somewhere, guessing a diaphragm or gasket went out. I'd like to pick a new mechanical one up. How has yours held up?
"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice. " Pr. 12:15
curlrider11 Offline

Postby Esteban » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:35 am

The fuel pump can be interchanged though out all the years, including the P40 engine also.

I have this info saved:

Fuel pump part number: 17010-L6200
copy this into the search field here:
http://www.forkliftpartssupply.com/#Sea ... 7010-L6200

$148 (Aug-2018)
7695 NW 63rd St.
Miami, FL 33166, USA
1 (305) 884-2255 1 (305) 455-7022
arturo@forkliftsparts.com

Another fork lift parts store with a better price:
https://store.intellaliftparts.com/p/tc ... N9EALw_wcB

There's also a repair kit on eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-PATROL- ... ah&vxp=mtr

Please take into account that Nissan changed the fuel pump at least 3 times. Only minor changes (probably driven by the accountants) but one of those changes was the length of the leg of the diaphragm. The eBay kit might be correct for some years but not for others. It's possible that it will work on your pump. Impossible

Additional info about the fuel pump: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2121
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby curlrider11 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:21 pm

Esteban, thank you very much! A few good looking options. I have the 69 p motor, from other forums seems like the diaphragm stem length might be a little too long for mine. Now and then quoted me for about $120 rebuilt. Will look into these, thanks a bunch for the quick reply. Now i have an idea why i ran out of gas on the side of the highway on monday :) Thought i was just getting horrible gas mileage :P
"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice. " Pr. 12:15
curlrider11 Offline

Next

Return to Engine and Mechanical