65 hardtop

Rust or bling, we want to see it!

Postby mattmctree@gmail.com » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:01 pm

So you just grind out the captured nuts and insert those in their place?
mattmctree@gmail.com Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby zed » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:24 pm

Correct.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... ction=view

Note, this solution will lose some of the adjustability that a floating cage nut provides. You may have enlarge the hole of the part you attaching to ensure that the fastener aligns with the rivet nut.

Keith
1969 Patrol L60
1965 Patrol L60 (parts provider)
1966 PL520
1970 240Z
1990 300ZX (sold 10/04/13)
zed Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby mattmctree@gmail.com » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:42 pm

Been super busy with work and getting ready for a new baby but got out and managed to get some stuff done , hard top roof and sides are off
Tub is off, one door is off, ( other is seized) I pulled the gas tank and skid plate which had 2 shopping bags worth of dirt in it! I've taken some pics of some metal that I think has been welded on the frame after the fact and am wondering if anyone can concur so I can go ahead and cut it off
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby RiverPatrol » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:13 am

Nice that you're spending some quality time with your Patrol. Removing the gas tank skid plate is a sure way to instantly lose a few pounds removing all the dirt that collects there.

The metal pieces are definitely not original, but actually very cleaver. They're acting as inverted mud flaps, keeping dirt and debris flung up from the road from collecting around the rear of the tub. This has forever been a source of rust, rot and ruined tail lights.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby mattmctree@gmail.com » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:44 pm

so you think I should keep the inverted mud flaps? I mean if they will help protect from rust why not? the other day I was at a customers business and they do galvanizing. has anyone galvanized a patrol frame before? my only concern would be if it required repair in future as far as I know galvanized cant be welded?

Postby L60Boerne » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:32 am

Matt,
There are two types of galvanization; hot dip and flame sprayed. Both have significant drawbacks.

Flame sprayed, likely your first option, leave very little zinc on the edges which actually generates rust spots.

Hot dip is where you actually dip the frame in a vat of hot molten zinc. This is by far the best approach from a coating perspective...though at the risk of warping your frame.

Either approach makes painting very difficult. It can be done but it takes a very good primer and paint, then it is still easily chipped.

I'd think the new thick rust preventing bed liner type paints would much better than either form of galvanization.

Typing from The Lair. Last cold night of the year at 36 degrees with only one of four hunting vehicles operational. Thank goodness for the Chicom.

L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…
Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby SBP78g60 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:40 am

hey mate progress looks good, i went through this thought process about galving my frame about a month agoi rang a few places and nobody, not even the galvanisers recomended it..i think there was a few reasons but mainly, every thread an bolt hole will be full and will need to be re cut, exposing it again and then kinda making a weak spot in your protective barrier, so kinda defeating the purpous is what i was told, but i dnt see why its fine for trailers and other things then, plus i know of a mining company whos building a whole fleet of landcruisers with fully galved chassis..so i still dnt see why not. so i didnt do it, but not saying i wouldnt either...

shayn
78 mwb softop
SBP78g60 Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….
So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby RiverPatrol » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:03 am

mattmctree@gmail.com wrote:so you think I should keep the inverted mud flaps? I mean if they will help protect from rust why not?

Really depends on how much and how often you plan on using it when its finished. Personally I wouldn't think it would be necessary for the type of use a restoration is going to get. I'm always aware, and whenever I drove in conditions that would throw mud I knew I needed to do a good job of hosing it down.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby mattmctree@gmail.com » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:29 am

It's been quite a while. I've been very busy and have a 8 week old daughter and my son is now 3 which keeps me busy. I recently got the floors pan section off after some coercing . I will post some pics later. I'm now looking at the frame and have found a few sections with rot and am hoping that the project isn't a lost cause. Also I found some shards of gear in the transmission . Am I still able to get gears for the truck.

Postby mad4hws » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:38 am

I have a spare transmission that I can pull gears from if you need. I had it rebuilt, but once it was installed, i couldn't keep it in gear. It kept popping out. Anyway, replaced it with another one that I salvaged so it's just sitting there waiting for me to decide what to do with it.
mad4hws Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Show us Your Patrol!