P40 engine parts that work and those that don't

Won't run? Engine, cooling system, fuel pump, carb, clutch, tranny, brakes, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Engine & Mechanical' category are here.

Postby rdarnell » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:49 pm

Dealing with LiftParts Warehouse did not go so good. Long story short, I cancelled most of the order after a few wrong parts. I wound up reordering with Tiffin Parts, much better people to work with. The people at LiftParts do not really know much about engines, just order takers, easy enough to work with but not knowledgeable on the different parts.
rdarnell Offline

I love driving my Patrol!
I love driving my Patrol!

Postby Fezz21 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:56 pm

Hi Guys, Sorry but i'm new to posting! I am completing restoring a 77 G60 SWB patrol and are up to the engine re-build! I have been asked by my engine re-builder if i can get my hands on a new set of main bearings (.25mm) and a new set of lifters?, any info on some current parts suppliers for this type of engine would be greatly appreciated. I have looked at the lift parts warehouse and are not completely sure that the bearings on there will fit my P4 engine (NI12209-58010), any info or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Nick.
Fezz21 Offline

Lurker
Lurker

Postby Volkmann77 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:29 pm

So, how does one determine easily if their engine has been rebuilt previously? Markings etc? I would like to buy a rebuild kit but certainly don't want buy the wrong components if the block has been bored already.
Volkmann77 Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby Esteban » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:57 pm

Volkmann77 wrote:So, how does one determine easily if their engine has been rebuilt previously? Markings etc? I would like to buy a rebuild kit but certainly don't want buy the wrong components if the block has been bored already.

Unfortunately, there's no other way than to open it. No need to dismantle, but at least you have to take the head and measure the bore (sometimes the pistons have markings showing the oversize). You also have to open the oil pan, and then remove one camshaft shell bearing and one crankshaft to check the markings to determine the undersize if any.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Volkmann77 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:46 pm

Thank you sir!
Volkmann77 Offline

Previous

Return to Engine and Mechanical