Carb Comparison

Won't run? Engine, cooling system, fuel pump, carb, clutch, tranny, brakes, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Engine & Mechanical' category are here.

Postby L60Boerne » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:48 pm

Greetings Patrollees Worldwide,

Just a not to offer a few observations about the carburetors I have on my Patrols. First, all three have been tuned and or rebuilt by professional mechanics. Second, all three generate a smooth running motor. Lastly, none have required tuning once set and I drive all off road and in 4 WD all the time.

65 Santa's Sleigh - NAPA Carb (new manufacture, very sorry I don't have the model/model but I will search next time I am banging on the needle basin
- Took about ten hours to install and required help from the manufacturer to tune....no a quick and easy install.
- Provides the most power and responsiveness of the three
- Fits without modification to the oil bath air filter housing fitment
- automatic chock, floods very easy
- Though new, the float valve sticks so you never know when it will restart without unsticking needle valve...big drag

65 Tan Patrol - Rebuilt Rochester B
- Easy Install and fitment to oil bath housing
- Least torque produced
- Reliable
- With proper jet it works at all altitudes equally well between 2,000 and 12,500' (so far)
- Least responsive pedal

63 White Patrol - VZ 42
- Better responsiveness than the Rochester but not as good as the NAPA
- Reliable and responsive but can cough at the least pleasant time
- Better torque than the Rochester and might be similar to the modern NAPA
- Regardless of some thought, they can be rebuilt, kits are not available but not needed either, if you find the right shop
- Proven performance between 1,000 and 12,800 ft (so far)

Summary Thought - If the NAPA was as reliable it is great way to go. Maybe I got a lemon? If it worked all the time it would be my pick.

Patrolling when possible,
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby rwdoze » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:21 pm

Thanks for options on carburetors. I have looked into the Rochester option (you noted model B), and was told the carb for a 60-62 Chevy 235ci was the proper one. Looking at part numbers that carb is noted as a BC, do you know of any differences between the two models that might cause an issue?

Do you know if the Hitachi VC42 or VHA are available somewhere?

Randy
rwdoze Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby Esteban » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:05 pm

rwdoze wrote:....Do you know if the Hitachi VC42 or VHA are available somewhere?

Randy

The VC42 is probably unobtanium. The VHA probably as well. It's possible that it's still available in Australia from old stock. I have used extensively both, and for the last 15 years have a Carter/Motorcraft YFA that came from a 1980 Bronco (300 cid). Much better power in my opinion, and easy to get repair kits. Please note that the air filter housing neck is different for the VC42 and VHA.

There are knockoffs for sale at Amazon and eBay. Can't recall at the moment which of the members have installed them, but at least one.

https://www.amazon.com/Partol-Carbureto ... B0761NB88J

I don't know if a repair kit from Carter will fit them, but the price is low.

Please take a look at this thread that has good information of the Hitachi VC42 and VHA

Carburetors: VC42 vs VHA
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2560
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby faux40 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:28 pm

Not to rain on the parade! But I hate all carburetors! (well, not a passionate, white-hot hate... but a strong dislike!) I still want to finish my throttle body injection conversion...

In the meantime, I'm using a Rochester B with a manual choke. It's fine. It has lots of hesitation when you give it some pedal... and I get spectacularly low gas mileage with it!

John
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby L60Boerne » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:02 am

John,

If you recall from my first threads I REALLY wanted to upgrade to fuel injection. It quickly became clear it wasn't likely with the 4.0 L Nissan motor.

About the same time I bought a Chinese Jeep. I dropped out the chinese motor and transmission. I added throttle body fuel injection onto my Chicom rebuild using a rebuilt Chevy S10 V6 motor. While doing so, I learned that there was a narrow period of years whereby the motors and COMPUTERS that run the throttle body injection actually synch. It turns out new modern computers are too complicated for the older motors...thus requiring me to buy an old computer. That period was about 20 years ago. Because I have two left screw drivers I can't figure any of this stuff out for myself but because of what I was told and thus installed I am running a new V6 motor on a 25 year old reprogrammed computer.

Bottom line .......if anything goes wrong with that computer I am SOL and any fix to that is very expensive with few mechanics capable of programming that old computer. It is likely I wasn't shot straight...but if I was, then it is not easy at all to do what seems like should be easy.

Therefore, after field testing my Patrols at altitude and typical off road angles of attack I think they are pretty good. Good enough to have confidence in and easy enough to fix just about anywhere. The NAPA Rochester works great when it doesn't have a stuck needle valve. Still well short of high pressure fuel injection performance. Throttle body injection...as my Chicom proves...which still has some acceleration lag. However, on the upside it does eliminate the biggest carb problem which is an empty fuel bowl at acute angles.

Patrolling later today,
L60Boerne
L60Boerne Offline

Postby faux40 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:23 am

Yea, that shared intake port thing is a bear! Makes port injection intertesting. I thought about putting two injectors on each of those runners, but I think I'll just go TBI. However, I prefer to do it the hard way... as usual! I bought a megasquirt kit: https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/megasq ... asquirt-2/ Of course, I like electronics, so making my own isn't too far fetched! (Now, I should look into making the computer using vacuum tubes!)

John
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby L60Boerne » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:44 pm

Eddy the Eagle is trying to fix the sticking needle valve on Santa's Sleigh.

The NAPA carb that fits perfectly in place of either OEM carb is NAPA part # ND1495.

This carb is my favorite as noted above.

Patrolling again this weekend,
L60Boerne
L60Boerne Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:36 am

Greetings Patrol patrons worldwide,
Concerning the NAPA carburetor Eddy the eagle found it was missing the spring that assists the needle valve movement to the "open" position.

Eddy called the manufacturer, whose # is posted on the carb, and was informed that the spring was no longer available ......so they now ship them without the spring!

What a bunch of goofballs. Eddy found a spring from a mid 90s Yamaha ATV carb that he made work.

The Patrol fuel pump produces approximately 4 psi of fuel line pressure. Modern electric fuel pumps produces around 9 psi. At 9 psi the pressure alone will suspend the needle. So it will work under that condition.

After Eddy found a spring the manufacturer called Eddy and said they found one (1) rebuild kit and so he bought it for our inventory.

The beatdown goes on but Santa Sleigh will be back in service this weekend.

Patrolling when possible,
L60Boerne
L60Boerne Offline

Return to Engine and Mechanical