Anybody else running a Carter / Motorcraft carb?

Won't run? Engine, cooling system, fuel pump, carb, clutch, tranny, brakes, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Engine & Mechanical' category are here.

Postby Esteban » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:37 am

mad4hws wrote:Esteban/Volkman
I have the Minion Missile at the mechanic and the word back is that the carb that I sent out to be rebuilt is still in bad shape and unusable. I'm thinking about taking your recommendation and putting a brand spankin new Motorcraft Carb. Question for you - does it need any adapter plate, or does it bolt right up? The minion missile is missing the linkage for the manual choke, which i'd like to put back (I bought a cable a while back off of ebay and it is in my parts pile). How hard was it to convert the electric choke back to manual?

Also noteworthy is that the top of my intake manifold where the carb bolts up to is warped. I have the one that is sitting on the old '67 motor that came with the chassis that I disassembled a few years ago. I think they should be compatible. Hopefully it is not warped. If they are not compatable or it that one has issues too, I'm guessing it would be relatively easy to have this machined down to be flat again.

Appreciate the help and advice.

Don.

Don, sorry to hear that with the carb. The good news is the the Motorcraft carb bolts right in without any adapter needed. Just check the condition of the isolator/gasket base.

Modifying the electric choke is a simple and straight forward task, and the manual choke kits are available at all parts stores.

And regarding the manifold, all years are exactly the same, so you are good to go. Interesting to know that the manifold is warped. Do you thing over tightening the carb base has caused it? Please note that there's a gasket between the intake and exhaust manifolds, in addition to the gasket at the cylinder head.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby mad4hws » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:27 pm

Thanks Esteban. Good to know. I'm going to order that carb and choke kit tonight. If there is warpage on the manifold, I'm probably the one to blame since I took it off to get rebuilt and put it on after it came back. Hopefully the one on the donor chassis is in decent shape and can be put back into service. I do have the header that I'm going to put on eventually (my whole exhaust system needs replacing). I am not sure how I'm going to navigate the gasket that you reference since the header does not have anything for the intake manifold to bolt up to. that's a separate issue though and I'll move that to my build thread. It needs a little bit of care and feeding anyway :)
mad4hws Offline

I love driving my Patrol!
I love driving my Patrol!

Postby Esteban » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:00 pm

mad4hws wrote:... I am not sure how I'm going to navigate the gasket that you reference since the header does not have anything for the intake manifold to bolt up to. that's a separate issue though and I'll move that to my build thread. It needs a little bit of care and feeding anyway :)

Since you'll be installing headers, the gasket is a non issue. But if for the moment you'll install the original exhaust manifold, then this gasket needs replacement.

The gasket I'm referring is between the two manifolds, #8 in the following diagram:

The exhaust manifold is open at the top and has a baffle connected to #13. This baffle moves by means of a bi-metallic spring fitted to #13 and allows the exhaust gases to heat the base of the carburetor in cold weather.

Don't worry too much not having it. In mine the baffle is welded shut in the hot weather position since my bi-metallic spring broke decades ago. Never missed it.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby 66AzPatrol » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:06 pm

I have a carter yfa1 on my straight 6 Ford in my 66
66AzPatrol Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby krc65tan » Wed May 13, 2020 1:21 pm

I'm running a Rochester Monojet on mine that seems to run pretty good. I'd say I average 16mpg overall.
krc65tan Offline

Previous

Return to Engine and Mechanical