Engine Stall Problem

DIYs, FAQs and anything else that doesn't fit in another topic

Postby kuzzen » Wed May 25, 2022 9:36 pm

I have a 1969 Patrol with 4.0L engine. When my mechanical fuel pump stopped working, I installed an electrical in line 4-7 psi fuel pump. This pump worked great for about 30-50 miles. Then suddenly when I give it full throttle the engine stalls, backfires and sometimes stops running entirely. Thinking I had a bad fuel pump I replaced it with another one. The engine will start and idle just fine. However, when I increase the RPM and let it run for a minute or so, the problem reappears. I dissembled and cleaned the carb and the problem still persist. Anyone else have this problem? If so, what did you do to solve the problem?
kuzzen Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby plateaucal » Wed May 25, 2022 9:49 pm

I would suspect fuel filter, or blockage in the fuel pickup in the tank or line from the tank.
plateaucal Offline

I love driving my Patrol!
I love driving my Patrol!

Postby kuzzen » Thu May 26, 2022 9:34 am

Thanks, Plateaucal for your response. I have blown out my fuel lines, replaced the fuel filter twice, dissembled and cleaned the carb, and replaced the electric fuel pump once. My plan now is to do what I should have done in the beginning, isolate the gas tank. I'll disconnect the fuel line from the gas tank and stick it in a container with clean fuel. I'll let you know how that works out..........Thanks again for responding!
kuzzen Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby Flaggoni » Thu May 26, 2022 10:27 am

You’ve likely found and cleaned it already, but there is a small screen inside the “banjo” fitting that attaches the fuel line to the carb.
Mild Bill
Flaggoni Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Return to General Tech