Rehab of Patrol L60-2-00655

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby r1lark » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:46 pm

This thread will be used to pose questions & ask advice from fellow Patrollers, as well as document progress, as I rehabilitate our Patrol serial number L60-2-00655. This Patrol has sat unused for at least 20 years. The plan is to slowly go thru systems to get it running, then driving, and make repairs as needed. The original paint will be retained, with some touch up of the worst areas. The focus will be on running/driving safely, preservation, and then some improvement in appearance. This will not be a restoration, I have too many other vehicles (Studebakers, Triumphs) bogged down in 'restorations'.

Although registered as a '64, it is probably a '62 based on where the serial number falls in the USA Patrol Registry list.

For more info on this Patrol, here are a couple of threads--
My Introduction thread: https://60patrol.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3751
The Patrol in '79 in the snow: https://60patrol.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5025
Current condition: https://60patrol.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5815
Original tires on this Patrol: https://60patrol.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6132

Current status is: cylinders have been oiled with marvel mystery oil several times, distributor and wires are out to allow oil priming, oil and filter changed, pulled rocker cover to make sure no valves were stuck. Next visit (Patrol is about 90 minutes away) will be to prime oil system and turn engine over with handcrank. If I get the distributor checked out/cleaned/lubed before then, I'll put it back in.
Paul
r1lark Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby RiverPatrol » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:27 am

Looking forward to watching your progress!
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Esteban » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:30 am

I concur with RiverPatrol. Looking forward for it.

I have read again the links posted. They're so great. You have a real tressure and a time machine in your hands. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby r1lark » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:35 am

Thanks River and Esteban. Progress will be slow since the Patrol is stored 90 minutes away, but that does give me a chance to make the process more methodical. :)
Paul
r1lark Offline

Postby r1lark » Tue May 03, 2022 4:57 pm

In preparation for going to work on the Patrol Thursday, I've been going thru the distributor. It was kind of nasty inside:
DSC08448 resized.jpg

Totally disassembled except for pulling the shaft out, cleaned all the parts, and inspected them. The pins for the centrifugal advance weights were fine, the weights themselves were fine (no perceptible wear in the pin holes), and the points plate moved smoothly.
DSC08455 resized.jpg
DSC08456 resized.jpg

Some lube where needed, and the weights were reassembled. A NOS set of points, a new condenser (thanks to Mild Bill for that!), and a new o-ring (again, thanks Mild Bill!) were used with the original rotor:
DSC08457 resized.jpg

DSC08459 resized.jpg

The vacuum advance diaphragm is bad, and I have some inquiries sent out with pictures to a couple of companies that rebuild vacuum advances to see if they can do the Patrol advance. But for now, it's back in the distributor:
DSC08467 resized.jpg

Also had to make a new gasket, the old one was not reusable:
DSC08468 resized.jpg

Here is the distributor number for posterity:
DSC08466 resized.jpg

Didn't get anything done today.......yesterday my wife and I went to get the first of two Shingles shots, and that shot knocked us for a loop -- tired, nausea, chills, etc. But will get back on this tomorrow. Need to do some work on the spark plug wires, since there are some issues where they were in the cap -- not pushed down all the way. Plus need to make the oil pump priming tool.

Feels good to be making some progress, even though it's slow progress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
r1lark Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue May 03, 2022 5:21 pm

Nice work! Was the o'ring a new compatible part or something Bill robbed off another distributor. It looks unused.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby r1lark » Tue May 03, 2022 6:06 pm

RiverPatrol wrote:Nice work! Was the o'ring a new compatible part or something Bill robbed off another distributor. It looks unused.

It was in a Nissan bag with a part number so I assume it's a NOS part.
Paul
r1lark Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Tue May 03, 2022 7:51 pm

Paul,
Eddy the Eagle just rebuilt the distributor in my Red 65 (Santa's Sleigh) though known to my wife as "Hershel's Patrol". Anyway, the base of the distributor was all rusted up and it has been in either a container or desert for three years. It has seen rain since we bought it so how did the moisture get into the distributor? Eddy thinks if comes those those vacuum advance tubes that run to the air filter housing. Anyway, he is plugging them against my wishes. It has been my experience that those vacuum tubes somehow contribute to a much smoother running motor. I'm sure we will unplug them in about 6 months.

Eddy BTW and Plateaucal are in agreement on the vacuum tube necessity anf Plateaucal is never wrong.

Patrolling and rolling,
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…
Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed May 04, 2022 12:01 am

r1lark wrote:
RiverPatrol wrote:Nice work! Was the o'ring a new compatible part or something Bill robbed off another distributor. It looks unused.

It was in a Nissan bag with a part number so I assume it's a NOS part.

Did you happen to save the bag, or the part number?

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby r1lark » Thu May 05, 2022 5:03 am

L60Boerne wrote:Paul,
Eddy the Eagle just rebuilt the distributor in my Red 65 (Santa's Sleigh) though known to my wife as "Hershel's Patrol". Anyway, the base of the distributor was all rusted up and it has been in either a container or desert for three years. It has seen rain since we bought it so how did the moisture get into the distributor? Eddy thinks if comes those those vacuum advance tubes that run to the air filter housing. Anyway, he is plugging them against my wishes. It has been my experience that those vacuum tubes somehow contribute to a much smoother running motor. I'm sure we will unplug them in about 6 months.

Eddy BTW and Plateaucal are in agreement on the vacuum tube necessity anf Plateaucal is never wrong.

Patrolling and rolling,
L60Boerne

Interesting thought David, I'll have to do some searching on the forum about that. At least at this point, I'm not ready to plug the lines though. But thank you for that thought, definitely something to consider for the long term.
Paul
r1lark Offline

Next

Return to Projects