Zed's 1969 Patrol

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby faux40 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:47 pm

Our orange Patrol has a similar story -- The previous owner acquired it (and the green '66) with the house that he and his wife bought near Grass Valley, CA 20-ish years ago -- really, it was part of the sale and [i]came as part of the house![/i] There are lots of indicators that he loved the Patrol (lots of stainless steel nuts and bolts, factory new spare parts, etc.). Anyway, a couple years ago he lost a battle with Cancer. His wife parted with the two Patrols. It was only a couple months (and zero progress) later that I purchased them from him -- perhaps he was simply too busy working on his 20 Datsun 510s. A real Datsun fanatic -- he even has a vintage Datsun logo tattoo on his arm!

I connected with her shortly after purchasing them. She's provided us with the stores of parts and the backstory. She is very nice and says that her late husband would love what we are doing with the Family Patrol (you know, the whole kids thing...). I really felt honored and proud when she said that! Which, reminds me that it's high time that I send her an update!

I love the rich stories that many of us know about our Patrols' histories. They've all had several owners before us... well, except maybe Esteban's! And, with any luck, several owners after us -- if we build them well enough to survive another 50+ years!

Blue Plates are cool. Your's is a seven letter blue plate which indicates that it was issued 1980 or later. The blue plates started in 1969 so your Patrol may have worn blue or perhaps black plates originally. My '67 would have worn black originally, that's why I'm excited that California is reissuing black plates... although I will have AEROGRL changed to the black plate... or course this will ruin the true vintage image... but then, it helps keep my lovely wife (Emily) happy! (You be the judge... good choice?)

Before you think that I'm a California Plate expert... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_r ... California ;-)

California plates are extraordinarily cool simply because California is cool... Well, currently warm and dry, but still quite cool image-wise ;-)

John
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby RiverPatrol » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:30 pm

Thanks for sharing that, Keith. I never knew the back story on your Patrol. That paints it and your painstaking attention to detail in a whole different light.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby moore_rb » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:49 am

zed wrote:When the Patrol was offered for sale the previous owner had passed away 5 months earlier from the effects of ALS. He suffered from ALS for over 25 years. When his symptoms affected his ability to drive, his parents locked the Patrol away in a barn.... 20+ years later, his parents had to reregister the Patrol and pay all the back fees. After paying the fees, the price of they offered Patrol was not much more than the total fees. They agreed to sell me the Patrol, sight unseen, with the understanding that I would get it operational. I talk to his mother from time to time, sending her photos. I am trying to be respectful to owner's memory. (He served in Vietnam, and was stationed stateside in Oklahoma.)

Keith, your story really hit home with me -- I have a similar one (sorry for the thread jack):

In 1990, I was a 21 year old kid looking for what (at the time) was my dream vehicle- a 69-72 Chevy Blazer. I had scrounged together 5000 bucks, and searched all over Arizona for months looking for the Blazer I wanted. While on a camping trip with a couple friends, we were driving through Payson ( a small town up in the mountains northeast of Phx). We passed a small house with the garage open, and I saw that familiar blue bowtie emblem on the grill of a 69-72 chevy truck. So we stopped, turned around, and went back to take a look. The old guy was out doing yardwork, so I walked up, introduced myself, and asked if I could take a look at the truck. After giving me the same suspicious look that most 60-something men give to strange 21 year olds who approach them out of the blue , he walked me over to the garage. That's when I saw that it was a Blazer. It had been sitting for a long time, had 4 flats, was covered with dust, boxes, and junk, but was otherwise all there.

We talked for about an hour about the truck (while my friends impatiently waited for their weekend camping trip to resume)

The old guy told me the story about how the Blazer was his sons, who had bought it right after coming home from Vietnam. He drove it for about 10 years, before dying of Hodgekin's disease (the Dad figured it was from Agent-Orange exposure). After the son's death, the Blazer sat in their garage for nearly 10 more years, right up to that day.

Sensing the connection that the truck symbolized with their son, I reluctantly (and as tactfully as possible) told the man that I was looking for an old blazer exactly like this one, and I left my number with him and told him I had 5000 and that if he would consider it, then I would love to get that old truck cleaned up and back on the road. He said his wife would probably not go for it, but he agreed to take my number down and hang onto it.

About a week later I got a call from a woman who said she was the man's wife- She asked if I was still interested in the Blazer, and told me they would take my 5000 offer on one condition- I would have to drive the truck back up to Payson and take her for a ride in the woods, once I got it running again.

So, I borrowed my step-dad's truck, hooked up the trailer, and my friends and I went back up to Payson to dig the Blazer out of their garage. (See- road trips with the flatbed trailer are not just a recent, Patrol related tradition for me- I've been doing it for 25 years :lol: )

The old lady was in tears as we drove away that day.

Getting home, I was amazed at what I had -- under all that dust, the truck was nearly untouched- the upholstery was still soft and un-torn, the Odo showed 51,000 miles, and the paint had not a scratch on it. I spent a week cleaning it up, and another week cleaning out the fuel tank, flushing and replacing all the fluids and belts/hoses, etc. After finally dropping a battery in it, I held my breath and cranked it for the first time in 10 years - it fired immediatley, and after smoking for about a minute or so, it was running well enough for me to adjust the dwell, timing, and the carb.

So, true to my word, after putting a set of used tires on it (all I could afford, after blowing two paychecks on the gas to bring it home, and all the maintenance parts and fluids) I called the old couple back and told them I wanted to come and visit them the following Saturday.

I drove up there, took them both for a 30 minute ride in the mountains, and explained to them what it meant to me for their late son to give me my dream vehicle...

I don't remember their full names (They were just Mr. and Mrs. Hendricks) ... and I never saw them again after that day. Ah, but that Blazer.... that Blue, pristine, 72 blazer with the black interior, the 350 V8, and the factory A/C. - I drove that truck all over the western US - It was with me the summer I spent in Colorado working on the road surveying crew in Glenwood Springs. It took me on numerous fly fishing trips to Lees Ferry, the San Juan in New Mexico, and all over Colorado.

Unfortunately, I had to sell it in 1997 to raise some cash while I was back in school getting my Engineering degree. :|

I've owned dozens of vehicles in my life- several of which people would drool over; but to this day, I still personally love this truck more than any vehicle I've owned before, or since... That's the power and significance of memories... I barely made enough money to afford the gas this thing burned, and I recall many nights lying beneath it with tools and the shop light, pulling an all-nighter hoping I'd have it running again in time to get me to work the next morning. This Blazer was the vehicle I owned when I met my wife, and even though her greatest association with my automotive neurosis can be best described as "patient tolerance", even she occasionally says "I wish you had never had to sell your Blazer..."

How cool it is, for you to be honoring the memories of your Patrol's former owner with the immaculate attention you are giving it... My hat's off to you, Sir :clap:
ImageImageImageImage

L-R:
White 65 Hardtop L60-3-00617 (undergoing restoration)
Red 65 hardtop 4L60-002565 (scrapped for parts)
66 Hardtop "El-Bondo Patrol", L60-00511 (Restored, then sold June2020)
Blue 67 Hardtop (sold March1997)
Green 62 Softtop L60-2-00504 (undergoing restoration)
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Grenadier » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:54 am

Fantatsic story, Moore.

You too, Zed.
Grenadier Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….
So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby RMP&O » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:30 pm

That is one nice Patrol! Well done Keith! Simply outstanding!

Cheers
RMP&O Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Rolly » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:45 am

You've got a bit of a Stephen King way about your story-telling Moore, not the spooky stuff but his way of describing times past and how they affect you and stay with you forever. Thumbs up
Topless is the only way to go
Rolly Offline

Postby miller » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:38 am

Beautiful work :clap:
1964 MWB Soft top Patrol - 1972 MWB Soft top Patrol "Diablo" - 1977 MWB V8 "Mr Muck" - 1978 G60 Patrol Ute "HP"
miller Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby RiverPatrol » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:59 am

You've been pretty quiet lately, Keith. But I see you posted this little gem. Updates? It really looks stunning.

Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby zed » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:46 pm

Patrol is home..awaiting the finishing touches.
1969 Patrol L60
1965 Patrol L60 (parts provider)
1966 PL520
1970 240Z
1990 300ZX (sold 10/04/13)
zed Offline

Postby moore_rb » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:17 am

wow- It really looks sharp, Keith... :handgestures-thumbup:
ImageImageImageImage

L-R:
White 65 Hardtop L60-3-00617 (undergoing restoration)
Red 65 hardtop 4L60-002565 (scrapped for parts)
66 Hardtop "El-Bondo Patrol", L60-00511 (Restored, then sold June2020)
Blue 67 Hardtop (sold March1997)
Green 62 Softtop L60-2-00504 (undergoing restoration)
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Projects