Land Rover Series II Compared to a Patrol 60??

If it doesn't fit in the others but is 60 series related, post it up.

Postby plateaucal » Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:49 pm

Esteban wrote:We can open a can of worms here, but one thing is for sure: all of them copied the Jeep.

In March 1964, Motor Trend published a vey good article that compared the following 4x4 offerings at that time:
Jeep CJ
Land Rover
Datsun Patrol
Land Cruiser
Wagoneer
Scout

Scanned copies of that article circulated years ago in another forum. The copies I have are minute in resolution and not worth posting again. But you can still read the comments. They separated the Wagoneer, as it was in a different and new league at that time. And with the others their consensus was that the Datsun Patrol was the best of them all.
The Best Power
Most Torque
Highway and Off Road Drive

Found an offering of that magazine here: https://jimsmegamagazines.com/motor-tre ... 27973.html

My personal experience with both the Patrol and the Land Rover, since my brother in law use to have a LR, and we were with complete bias to our choices.

The Land Rover is a very sturdy vehicle with full floating axles in the rear, that helps a lot in case you break an axle deep in the woods. You can still drive with the front wheel drive engaged. Can't do that in the Patrol. Being an aluminum body also helps with rust. Their shape is probably the most iconic after the jeep. End of pros.

The LR engine is a joke in power and consumes about the same as the Patrol. With a displacement of 139.5 cu in (2,286 cc), 74hp and torque of 120 lb⋅ft is about half the Patrol engine output at 242 cu in (3956 cc), 145hp, and 232 lb⋅ft.

Off road capabilities of both are about the same, and maybe a slight advantage to the Land Rover due to its lower weight and the fact that it doesn't have anti-roll bars that do limit articulation of the axles. Easily accomplish in a Patrol if you disconnect them.

The double roof of the Land Rover is one of its best features, since it does lower the temperature inside, specially with intense sun.

On the anecdotal part, my dad ended up buying the Patrol because he couldn't afford the Land Rover at that time. Thanks God!

I love a good debate. I did a little wheeling in a stock 1946 Willys I once owned. What a stunning little vehicle. The flathead four pulled like a tractor and would drag you out of anything. It always felt planted like it was connected to the earth. I also did a little wheeling in the Patrol. I am still amazed. It would go up hill in two wheel drive, off camber with only three wheels on the ground. My best analysis suggest it has to do with weight distribution and spring rate. However, the Patrol might have been the best were it not for the ridiculous transmission. Somebody should have met the firing squad over that one.

But expanding your horizons...the best ever was the SWB Land Rover Classic or the FJ80 (Lexus preferably). That being said I'll take a full size vintage Bronco any day.

You can't drive home on the front axle in a Patrol? I did not know that.

In the end I truly believe that low center of gravity and good weight distribution (not necessarily lower curb weight) followed by axle articulation are the keys to a good off roader.
plateaucal Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby r1lark » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:22 pm

OK, I found this Motor Trend March '64 magazine in my 'to do' pile. Stuff piled up on top of it really fast after it came in the mail. I apologize that I'm just now getting it scanned. Not much information as far as comparing each of the six 4-wheelers to the others, but here it is anyway.

Motor Trend March 1964 6 With 4 Wheel Drive.pdf

RiverPatrol, I wasn't sure where to add this in the Patrol60 'library'. Could you handle that so it's in the right place? Thanks!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
r1lark Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:45 am

Thanks for this! Just post it here: viewforum.php?f=33
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby r1lark » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:00 pm

Thanks River, done!