Going to be a journey!

New members, tell us about yourself and your Patrol. Don't be shy!

Postby DonM » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:47 pm

I recently purchased a 1973 G60, which was "restored" in Columbia and shipped up through Florida. I had it delivered to my home in Colorado, and unfortunately picked the coldest week of the winter to take delivery. My initial experience with the truck has been less that stellar, as it appears that anti-freeze is not a common additive to Patrols in Columbia or Florida, and my engine arrived as an ice-cube. We are still experiencing sub-20 degree weather, so I am trying to thaw the block with a barn heater, but I already have signs that the freeze plugs have gone. Hoping it has not damaged the "numbers matching" block :cry: Anyway, I will soon be on the lookout for parts, and was hoping to get some references for parts houses that carry stuff for these old girls.

Thanks,
DonM
DonM Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RiverPatrol » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:33 am

Welcome to 60Patrol! :text-welcomeconfetti: Congratulations on your new toy. :D

What an unfortunate set of circumstances for the delivery! Wow. The block is probably fine, not much can hurt those.

Finding parts can be an interesting treasure hunt sometimes depending on what you need. Feel free to search posts here for many answers to parts questions and someone is always willing to offer help with questions you have.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby faux40 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:46 am

Hope the engine survived the freeze! Looking forward to hearing (and seeing) your Patrol and your progress!
j
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Esteban » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:12 pm

Welcome to 60Patrol!!

Sorry to hear about the problem. Hope it is nothing major.

The person in Florida should have been more careful and installed the antifreeze as a precaution.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Online

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby DonM » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:15 pm

Unfortunately the block did crack. I will have to pull it to see the extent of the damage, and if the block is salvageable. Would appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction for a replacement block (bare or rebuilt).
G60_Block_Crack_01082024.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DonM Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:42 am

DonM wrote:Unfortunately the block did crack. I will have to pull it to see the extent of the damage, and if the block is salvagable. Would appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction for a replacement block (bare or rebuilt).

:cry: :evil:
Well that sucks. Check the Classifieds section, there might be someone that has one available.

EDIT: Here's one, not too far away in WA. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6502
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby timber » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:00 am

DonM wrote:I recently purchased a 1973 G60, which was "restored" in Columbia and shipped up through Florida.

I bought a '76 with the same background. I bought mine from Escofon. Where did you buy yours?
Tom
Modelo 1976 L60
Batalla 2200mm
Cilindrada 130 a 3956cc
timber Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….
So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby DonM » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:40 pm

Tom - Nice truck. I was on the edge regarding hardtop or soft, but your looks great in canvas. I purchased mine private party. They brought it up from Columbia earlier this year. Can't speak to much about it yet because it has not made it into my garage. We have had unusually cold weather and it is still stuck at the bottom of my driveway. If we get above 20 F I hope to give it a little more effort. Debating whether I try to salvage the numbers matching block, looks for something used, or go a totally different route and drop in a diesel. Starting to think I should have stayed with my Wagoneers :D
DonM Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby 50car » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:55 pm

Great talking with you Don! Hopefully we can work out a solution to get your vehicle up and running. Whether its the bare block or the complete one. Oh and less snow with warmer temps!
Jeff
50Car
50car Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Return to Introduce Yourself!