** edited title** 1966 Patrol- Spokane WA

New members, tell us about yourself and your Patrol. Don't be shy!

Postby Dixonsix » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:01 am

New to the forum with a potential project. I am going to look at the following 62 soft top in spokane, I have been lurking as you say, doing research.
"This is a 1962 Nissan Patrol 4x4. ((Type-460 / Engine # P-18810 / Car # L60-2-0071))) With 29,603 ORIGINAL MILES! It's engine, and transmission are running condition, baring a couple of small parts. Primarily a battery, and a set of points.
TITLE IN HAND, AND NO HASSLES. If you know what you're looking at, or have done your research. you'd know this is a great price. If you would like to take a look at it, please feel free to give me a call. "

I have previously owned among other rigs an FJ55. The hardest thing about the pig was sourcing parts. The 60patrol appears to be much more active than the iron pig group so I am a little less worried about finding support for the build.
As I have read articles on the forum it appears the value is subjective. From these pictures and owing to the fact that it is an original soft top I am expecting much rust.
As I do not see this rigs number on your registry, and it appears to truly be an early 62 soft top, does this make it more valuable? I am happy to defer the project to someone with more means than I if this is a significant rig
Dixonsix Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby RiverPatrol » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:28 am

Hi and welcome to 60Patrol! :text-welcomeconfetti: You've come to the right place for your Patrol related questions. :D

You've obviously done a bit of research already. And while you've been doing that the price has been dropping on that little gem. I'd say if you're interested in it, go for it. It's real hard to tell what condition it's in from the very bad pictures provided http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/4434900843.html. There are no pictures of the rear so that is very suspect. It appears as if the right door is off. This could be because the hinges are busted.

But I think you're right that it was probably a soft top. The red body color engine compartment is an indication of that. The VIN in the listing is incorrect, it's missing one digit. Depending on where that digit is missing, this could be the earliest known Patrol in the US. The bad picture of the VIN tag doesn't help any. Does this make it more valuable? In the right condition and to the right person, I would think so.

Go ahead, pull the trigger. We'll be here to help you along with your project. 8-)
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Esteban » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:37 am

Welcome Dixonsix!

As RiverPatrol mentioned yesterday in a similar thread, the year itself is not so important, since the variations through all the years is minimal, and rather the condition of the vehicle will be.

The fact that it's a soft top won't change the above much, unless you have the original canvas top in good condition. Please be aware that the odometer rolls at 99k, so it could well be 129k miles. Still, nothing for these engines. I'll be more concerned about how was it stored. Rust can always be fixed, but damaged gears due to prolonged exposure to water is something else.

I guess that you are close by to this Patrol, so you'll be able to take a better look at its condition. Parts are not that easy to get, but that's part of the challenge and later attachment we get to this rigs.

Good luck with this project.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby sleepyzzz » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:35 pm

welcome and good luck with your Patrol
1967 SPL 1600
2013 Nissan Rogue
2001 Nissan Sentra SE R
2010 Nissan Frontier SE V6 burning LP
sleepyzzz Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby 50car » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:52 pm

Welcome fellow eastern washingtonian. Good luck on the new project.
Jeff
50Car
50car Offline

Postby Dixonsix » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:38 pm

As you can guess I did not go all in on the 62 back in 2014. I would have posted something here by now if I had. Today I can say however I have joined the group for real. I have just acquired a 1966 Sky Blue patrol out of North Idaho. As with every new user I will need serious help. I have no idea what I do not know so will start with my intention for the Ute, make a fun summertime mountain, trail, and river rig for use in Northeast WA. Not a purist so whatever I do not need or remove is fair game.
I checked the registry, and it does appear to be new here. VIN L60-04523 have not check engine serial number yet.
First things first. Clean this thing out. Will add pics of the engine number once I do.
Does it Run: unknow. I did not attempt. Key did not feel right in ignition, Coil was disconnected, engine turns over freely with hand crank, so will try this after a bit of cleaning.
Does it Stop: no. Brake pedal goes all the way to the floor. (I plan on the disc brake conversion posted here by jwgreen I have all items for an RH in my cart at amazon, please confirm I have RH need)
I am posting pics to the page to enlist your help in understanding what I should be doing in what order.
First comment I received was "how cute" the vinyl seats made of kitchen upholstery were.
I look forward to participating with the group.
Send me thoughts, comments, and recommendations. Please
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dixonsix Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:20 pm

Congratulations on pulling the trigger! :D That's great that you kept the interest for so long even though you didn't follow through on the last one.
This looks like a great project, won't take much more than the normal things a Patrol needs after sitting to get it going. It will make a perfect runner or trail rig without too much effort.

I do appreciate the kitchen chair upholstery, very vintage. The steering wheel looks immaculate, and it still has the glass lens on the dash map light - bonus!

The stuff you need to get it going is pretty easy to come by, just be patient.

Post a better pic of the ID plate when you get a pic of the engine number.

Again - congratulations! :D
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Esteban » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:25 pm

Congratulations and welcome to 60Patrol !!

Looks fairy complete so you have a great start.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby zed » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:23 pm

Welcome. The brain trust in this site is unparalleled. Only their willingness to share their knowledge exceeds their responsiveness to questions!
Keith
1969 Patrol L60
1965 Patrol L60 (parts provider)
1966 PL520
1970 240Z
1990 300ZX (sold 10/04/13)
zed Offline

I love driving my Patrol!
I love driving my Patrol!

Postby Dixonsix » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:49 pm

Better pic on tag.
Engine:P-44681
VIN:L60-04523
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dixonsix Offline

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself!